Creating SEO-Friendly Permalinks In WordPress is not difficult.
Wondering how you can optimize WordPress URLs to improve SEO ranking in Google? Then, this article on URL optimization techniques, tips and tricks is for you.
The right permalink structure that is the most suitable for SEO of your WordPress site is very important. Often, new bloggers ask questions such as how can I structure my WordPress site URLs? What is the best permalink structure for my WordPress blog? Etc.
In the past, the option of creating customized URLs for the WordPress site wasn’t there. But we have the option now with Permalink. Here, in this article, I am going to tell you how you should structure your WordPress site URLs or how your permalink should be in order to optimize your site the right way.
Creating SEO-Friendly Permalinks In WordPress
Some basics about SEO-Friendly URL in WordPress
Before I explain how permalink should be, I would like to draw your attention to the core of our article that is SEO-friendly URL. We need to understand what this SEO-friendly URL means and how do we define it? Giving proper shape to URLs play a pivotal role in strengthening the on-page SEO of the site. A small mistake can cost a lot, can damage the overall on-page SEO influence of the site in search engines. Therefore, making the URLs as per the search engine optimization is crucial.
- It will contain one specific or target keyword (relevant to the content of the respective page)
- It will be easy to read by search engines.
- It will be short or not so long enough to confuse search engines.
- It will have no repetitive keywords.
- The finest example of such a URL is as follows: https://www.itwingz.com/best-free-seo-tools-to-improve-seo.html
- Please, take a look at the URL that is not based on SEO too
Old permalink structure would go like this:
Here, using the post number or page number is not a good strategy. In the past, the use of Permalinks was not available (became available with WordPress 4.2). But, now, we have the choice to modify it as required or to make it look more SEO-friendly.
How to create SEO-friendly URLs for our WordPress site?
To add SEO-friendly URLs, you need to make some changes in Permalink Settings. After logging into your site, go to settings from Admin Menu and set as required.
Go To Settings and Select Permalinks
Select the last option that is Custom Structure
Add.HTML to make it more SEO-friendly
Want to make WordPress SEO stronger, use Yoast SEO Plugin.
URL Options Available are as follows
Keeping a plain structure for the URL:
For instance: http://www.mywpsite.com/p=1569). I must say, SEO guys do not recommend this form. Because this is not as per the SEO standards.
Adding Day and Name:
For example: .com/2016/03/05. This is also not suggested or recommended by the experts. This will yield no good value for the site.
Adding the name of the month and then the name of the post:
Example:.com/2016/13/my-first-post. This might look a bit good but not the best option. The structure has the post name but the possibility of it getting extended exist which may prove to be futile for our SEO.
Post name in the WordPress URL:
Example: .com/my-second-post. A good option and can be taken. But, I must, that WordPress users will have to keep their post titles short because using longer post title will lengthen the URL too.
The option of customization: Customizing the Permalink as required is the best option. Even if the title of the post is too big then you can cut it short and create your own title. Click on the Custom Structure and save your changes so that you can see this option of changing the URL whenever you create any new post or new page.
Adding Category Name to Permalink Structure
I would not recommend you to add Category Name to Permalink Structures because this might lower down the value of on-page SEO.
The end of the URL should not go like this: /%category%/%postname%/
Permalinks Tips For WordPress Sites
Remember, by smartly creating SEO-Friendly Permalinks In WordPress, you will be optimizing the site in the right way. But, make sure you do not over-optimize URLs.
- Always make use of simple and short permalink (domain.com/customized title)
- Even if the title of the length is big then choose a different title for the URL
List Of The Best, Free SEO Tools For Website Analysis, Keyword Search, Google Penalty Check And Many More
But URL: https://www.itwingz.com/best-free-seo-tools-to-improve-seo.html
Here, you can see, as the title was long so a new title has been added to make it short and simple.
- Use the relevant keywords in the link structure.
- It would always be a good thing to add dashes than underscores
- It would be good to remove stop words (which include small words such as is, am, or, are, have, has, etc.)
- And one more important thing, if once you publish the post with the required permalink structure then you should not change it. Making changes in the permalink after publishing the post will lead to broken URLs. This will create some unsourced links which may prove to be very bad for the site.
Stay connected. I am going to talk about other interesting things about WordPress too.